Primary School visit
Early morning start, our first stop is a visit to a primary school. The classroom for the younger children is nicely decorated, the youngsters in the next grade using slates and chalk (which is not a bad thing, think of the paper they save?) The teacher had the young children sing a song for us; so lovely to listen to the sweet young voices of the primary school children.
The children dressed in clean white shirts, black pants or skirts, all looked very smart. Our tour group opted to give donation towards a water fountain and wash basin for the primary school. Most of the class rooms we looked into were pretty drab and in need of a fresh coat of paint. It was quite a large primary school, grounds really muddy after heavy rain, no pathways.
Spirit Houses Pich Nil mountain pass
A point of interest along the highway, dozens of spirit houses at the crest of the Pich Nil mountain pass on National Route #4. Many of the spirit houses or shrines maintained for Ya-Mao, the deity who oversees the southern coastal region of Cambodia.
Ya-Mao means ‘Black Lady’.
Travelers, especially truck and taxi drivers on highway route #4 make offerings of bananas and incense, and sometimes a little money, with their prayers to Ya-Mao for safe travel. Ya-Mao means ‘Black Lady’.
There are many legends that have grown up over the years about Ya-Mao,who was the wife of a village chief in the area. Like the legends, the shrines and spirit houses are very interesting and colorful.
Pich Nil is also a convenient toilet stop, and has a number of clean toilets available. Bottled water, fruit and snacks may also be purchased.
Highway Route #4 ,the 230km highway from Phnom Penh to Sihanoukville is in excellent condition, as always however, watch out for the other driver.
- golden lions of Sihanoukville beach resort town
- Highway to Sihanoukville town deep sea port and beach resorts
- durian tropical fruit Kampot-landmark old bridge
- plantations of black pepper-salt and pepper Kampot
- Beachhouse at Kep – Seaside resort
- Caves of kampong trach kampot caves
- Tonle (lake) Bati – Hindu Temple of Phnom Chisor
- Temple of Ta Prohm Takeo
- A Mekong cruise on the mighty Mekong River
- Killing fields – Cambodia – a chilling experience
- Tuol Sleng Genocide Museum Phnom Penh Cambodia
- Lotus Blanc- Phnom Penh- Restaurant
- Artifacts – National Museum of Cambodia Phnom Penh
- Emerald Buddha Silver Pagoda Phnom Penh
- Royal Palace Throne Hall Phnom Penh
- Cambodia 2011 Phnom Penh city
- Snapshot of Cambodia Kampuchea