Old Town (Nanshi)
Our tour group set of early to walk through the back streets of Shanghai Old Town, ‘Nanshi’ as it used to be called, the old walled city of Shanghai.The Old Town predates the colonial days in Shanghai. This area is now known as the Southern Town by most Chinese today, bounded by Renmin Lu and Zhonghua Lu (Lu=streets). It follows the boundaries of the old city wall, long since demolished except for one tower and a small section of the old wall. The tower still stands, saved because it was converted into a temple in the medieval period (now Dajing Ge Pavilion Museum). The remaining section of the old wall dates from 1554 during the Ming Dynasty. The Yu Yuan Garden and City God temple in the Old Town also exist from Ming Dynasty period.
Old Chinatown – Shanghai Old Town
This is Old Chinatown, the old Chinese Quarter where the narrow lanes and produce markets are bustling with the locals out shopping, washing hanging overhead on extended lines above the streets, an old Singer treadle sewing machine set up ready for clothing repairs.
Breakfast and a friendly chat for some. Are they pancakes, look really yummy! A busy area, hardware stores, sake and fresh produce, some very plump green frogs. Plenty of tea varieties to choose from, eggs,freshly cut meat, freshly plucked chickens.
A street of old decrepit buildings falling to pieces, further on a ramshackle old house with a classic pigeon loft. Much of the Old Town area being demolished to make way for new developments. A disappearing way of life?
Really enjoyed our walk through the Old Chinese Quarter, it was so interesting to have a look at the traditional way of life in the old town area, the housing, the markets and the people. This way of life which has been so traditional for eons, may be changing all too rapidly for many of its inhabitants.
The Old Town is easily explored after visiting the Yu Yuan Garden, Bazaar and Huxinting Tea House, by simply ducking up the side streets and exploring the maze of narrow lanes spreading outwards from this point.
Next a visit to the flower and bird market and fake antique market, more of the Shanghai Old Town ……
- Shanghai museum what is a bronze ding china
- master plan shanghai urban planning exhibition center shanghai china
- Ancient Town – “Fang Sheng” Bridge – Zhujiajiao – Shanghai
- Yu Yuan Garden and bazaar yu bazaar shanghai old town
- Port of shanghai-Jin Mao Skywalk
- Yangshuo impressions sanjie liu open landscape theatre
- Yangshuo countryside and fisherman li river yangshuo
- Boat trip limestone peaks li river guilin to yangshuo China
- Dragons backbone terraced rice fields Pingan village Longsheng
- Journey to Longsheng Rice Terrace
- Attractions Guilin fountains-and-silver moon pagoda guilin china
- Reed flute cave and grotto Guilin China
- Top Five Attractions in Beijing
- Visit the Jade Belt Bridge
- The Marble Boat
- the long corridor at the summer palace
- the fascinating summer palace in beijing china
- The Forbidden City China
- The temple of Heaven Park
- Lama Temple
- Great Wall of China
- Top ten places to visit China
- Xian City Wall
- Discover Xian|Big Wild Goose Pagoda Xian China
- Terracotta Army Emperor Qin
- Emperor qins terracotta army challenges and discoveries